Thursday, February 9, 2012

ESL Lesson: Contractions

Contractions

This blog entry is all about contractions! 
What are contractions? 
Contractions are a part of informal English frequently used in conversation and in casual or creative writing such as an email to a friend, an anecdote (or a true story someone tells) or a fictional story. 

Don't is a contraction of the words do not.


Contractions are the shorthand way of writing or saying two words as just one word. Very often contractions use the apostrophe () and the removal of letters to make a new word. Contractions should not be used in formal writing such as business letters. In business letters, you should write out words instead of using shorthand like contractions. Here are some examples of contractions.

Can't

Can’t is a contraction of the words can not or the word cannot. The second “o” is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I can not meet you this Friday as I am very busy.
I can’t meet you this Friday as I am very busy.



Don’t

Don’t is a contraction of the words do not. The second “o” is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I do not have any appointments next Monday.
I don’t have any appointments next Monday.



Doesn't

Doesn’t is a contraction of the words does not. The “o” in not is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
She does not like to drink coffee.
She doesn't like to drink coffee.



Didn't 

Didn’t is a contraction of the words did not. The “o” in not is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I did not talk to Mr. Jones last week.
I didn't talk to Mr. Jones last week.



Couldn't 

Couldn’t is a contraction of the words could not. The “o” in not is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I could not reach Mr. Jones last week through phone calls or email.
I couldn’t reach Mr. Jones last week through phone calls or email.



Wouldn't 

Wouldn’t is a contraction of the words would not. The “o” in not is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I would not spend too much money on office supplies. I wish to stay within my budget.
I wouldn't spend too much money on office supplies. I wish to stay within my budget.



Haven’t

Haven’t is a contraction of the words have not. The second “o” is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I have not reviewed your paperwork yet.
I haven’t reviewed your paperwork yet.



Won’t

Won’t is a contraction of the words will not. The second “o” is replaced by an apostrophe (‘), and the space in between the two words is eliminated. Consider the following two sentences.
I will not be able to attend the meeting this Thursday.
I won’t be able to attend the meeting this Thursday.



I hope these explanations help you understand the concept of contractions better. Remember that contractions are informal and that these are general contractions. We’ll post more on other contractions in the future. Do you have any other questions or comments about this or any other ESL subject? Leave them in the comment section and we will answer them. Stay tuned for more free advice on this and other subjects as well as promotions and news! If you want individual tutoring and help in learning English, contact Kingston University USA today!!

Kingston University USA
Live Locally. Learn Globally.
Official Website
Facebook Page
Twitter
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment